Wiki questions with modifiers looking for all discussions

Best answers
So we watched an AAPC modifier webinar and after watching i now have a few questions and i'm the only certified coder in office so not really anyone i can discuss with,

OK work comp claims I've not ever used mod 32 so i'm not sure when to use or if to use? we haven't had any issues getting them paid so i'm wondering why use it? how do i know if we need to use it?

Next question is also the 33 on preventative visit is that just on the OV or labs also?? and i know not medicare but we've not utilized that mod either and the older ladies in office say no, but they have not ever had any coding training.

Then last question we give multiple injections as in the 96372 now if it is same med we use 59 on the sub injections as long as it is diff med injected but 76 if its same meds but the webinar says use 51? so now i'm really questioning reasoning please i would love feedback. thank you

Heather Hudlemeyer CPC

You use modifier 33 on a NON preventive service being performed for preventive reasons. Such as a polypectomy that was performed as a screening but a polyp was found and removed. you would use the polypectomy code and not a screening G code and you would attach the 33 modifier to signify that it was for preventive reasons.

2 preventatives same day different specialty

OK i'm in a multi-specialty office and apparently last year 2 preventives were done 99396 or 99397, so the gyno doc did one with a dx of z01.419 and then the family practice doc did one with a z00.00 now i didn't believe this could be done and actually think its not correct but how do you bill a yearly with your gyno, and a yearly with your primary care doc?? i know medicare isn't in this scenario, i mainly want to know what bcbs, champ va, basically commercial insurance, any feed back with documentation to support it would be great to show our billing dept as well as making sure were billing correctly.

Thank You
Heather Hudlemeyer
CPC

You use modifier 33 on a NON preventive service being performed for preventive reasons. Such as a polypectomy that was performed as a screening but a polyp was found and removed. you would use the polypectomy code and not a screening G code and you would attach the 33 modifier to signify that it was for preventive reasons.

Thank You so much!