Wiki Questions about CIC credential

TLynnC

Best answers
I'm almost finished with the CIC course, and starting to do research as to finding a job. I have no work experience, as this represents a career change for me. I'm beginning to wonder if I shot myself in the foot with the CIC. Is this credential a sort of add-on, for people who already have work experience and/or a CPC and wish to move to the inpatient facility? Should I have gotten the CPC-H? Did I just waste a whole lot of time and money? I've also read here and there that AHIMA credentials are preferred by many employers--is this true?

Any replies and guidance would be much appreciated

Thanks!

The CIC is a new certification, so many employers don't know to prefer it. In fact many don't know what it is or that it exists. You are up against the gold standard in inpatient certification which is the CCS. Your cover letter will need to be strong and explain what your credentials represent. It will not be impossible. It took time for the CPC-H to be accepted as well. I got my job based on my cover letter, and how well I explained how the education and training for the CPC-H had prepared me for that field.

Thank you so much for your response; it was very reassuring. I realized the CIC was a new credential, yet hadn't thought that perhaps most employers wouldn't know what it was all about. So I will take your advice and make sure my cover letter tells my potential employers what they need to know. "...up against the gold standard..." i like the sound of that. Thanks again!

I'm credentialed by both AAPC and AHIMA simply because when I completed coding school and got my CPC-A I wasn't able to find a job right away. In my downtime I figured I'd work on my associates and recently completed it. I have found that managers/supervisors that are credentialed thru AHIMA tend to favor candidates with AHIMA credentials. AHIMA takes care of their own. You have to be able to sell your knowledge and skills since many managers/supervisors make assumptions about what a person with a specific certification is trained and qualified to do. Like Debra said, it's not impossible. Good luck!

Jazmine Brock, RHIT, CPC-A