Wiki Question.....

Daniele1

Contributor
Best answers
I just recently became a CPC-A. I work in a hospital. I thought you couldn't be on your coding for at least a year? I was always told that you had to be under someone to check your codes to make sure you are doing it right? I got my CPC-A three months ago. I have been coding ER's, OP ,and GI since. My employer wants me to start doing it on my own without anyone checking? I was wondering, how long it took others before they were on there own completely.

CONGRATULATIONS, you are living the dream we all desire when we achieve our CPC-A. It is fabulous that your employer trusts your work well enough to give you enough lead-rope to do it without checking your work 100%.

You didn't say how often you will be audited by your employer, but I would be willing to bet they are watching you randomly and checking your work as you go along.

There is no set amount of time before a coder is "let loose" by the AAPC to be on their own, that is up to employers. I personally was trained for 90 days and then I was on my own and Q/A audits were done quarterly. That time is simply what the AAPC sets as their measurement that you have enough experience before you can have your apprentice status removed. You are getting the experience they expect right now.

Keep up the good work!

My first (and current) job was to be the sole medical coder for a small tribal clinic, with no one but the insurance companies checking me - and you're coding for a hospital right off the bat.

CONGRATS and enjoy the opportunity! I know what you are doing is scary (coding for a hospital right now would scare the heck out of me), but your situation is what we all dream of. Take advantage of the opportunity, learn everything, and most importantly, don't be afraid of admitting your mistakes and learning from them

You ARE going to make mistakes. Just grit your teeth and fix them as best as you can and start building a knowledge base