Wiki Question regarding minor surgeries

NL2022

Networker
Best answers
I do the billing for a Urologist. He does alot of minor surgeries at the hospital. Most all have zero global. Alot of the time he admits them to the hospital to see if the patient will pass a stone or they come in through the ER and are admitted under his care that night and surgery is done the next day. Can we bill the admission? If there is not a global can we bill sub. care for the day following the surgery.I am going to say no, but the Urologist thinks we can since there is not global. I know it states that -57 is only to be used with major surgeries not minor surgeries. What do I do if we can bill the admission and the insurance denies? (without -57). Should we bill for sub. care after minor surgery?

Thanks for any input.

Sherry CPC

I could be wrong. However, I believe he would be able to charge for subsequent visits (providing the documentation supports his service). Think of it this way---if he performed a minor procedure (0-global days) in his office and saw the patient the next day, the service could be billable (again, providing supporting documentation).