Wiki Question re: DX 733.01

kfc

Best answers
Does anybody know if dx 733.01 Senile osterporosis, Postmenopausal osteoporosis is gender sensitive. I assumed this dx was for women only but I asked two doctors in our clinic and one said women only and one said she did not know. I also asked a couple of Nurses and one thought it was for women only and one had said men and women. :confused: Somebody please help

it is not gender specific ... no little "sex symbol" by it... like if you look at 625.X codes - you'll see the little "female symbol to the right of the codes...

none on 733.01 - not gender specific... :)

Found this article, among others, but this was the least technical. It seems it's not gender specific, but complications are gender specific, if that makes sense.

Summary: Traditionally, osteoporosis has been regarded as a disease of postmenopausal women; nevertheless, although osteoporosis is more common in women than in men, osteoporosis in men is a frequent and a severe condition. Osteoporosis generally can be characterized as either primary or secondary; in men secondary osteoporosis is more frequent than in women. The role of estrogen deficiency in the pathogenesis of postmenopausal osteoporosis is clearly established; remarkably, evidence accumulated over the past years strongly suggests that estrogen also plays the dominant role in regulating the male skeleton. Several independent studies observed decreased serum estradiol levels in men with idiopathic osteoporosis. In contrast to postmenopausal osteoporosis, there are only few studies on the treatment of osteoporosis in men; two different compounds (alendronate and teriparatide) appear to be equally effective in men and women.

Peter Pietschmann1, 3 and Katharina Kerschan-Schindl2
http://www.springerlink.com/content/56428vt967615677/