Wiki question on use of E-codes

pmissall

Best answers
I have a question, if a police officer was at a accident site and one of the people involved in the accident had HIV, then the officer presents for an exam, would you apply any E codes at all. It doesn't say the officer was hurt in any way.

It doesn't say if he got any blood on him or was just concerned because the person hurt had HIV.

It doesn't say if he got any blood on him or was just concerned because the person hurt had HIV.

You cannot use an exposure code unless the exposure is documented. Being in the vicinity of an injured HIV infected patient does not constitute an exposure. I would go a V code for worried well or an administrative V code plusa V code for screening for viral diseases.

This was just a hypothetical question we were given, and I just coded the V code for exposure to virus . There was some discussion about using an occurance E-code. Personally I didn't think an E-code was needed and just wanted someone elses opinion. Thanks

But that is my point there was no exposure or harm to your patient. Therefore no E code is needed. You should not have coded n exposure code even in practice. We had this scenario in real life several times when I worked at the penitentiary. If there is no direct contact with the HIV individual or their body fluids threw spitting or what have you, then the officer is only anxious and itis screening.