Wiki Question on the use of "/" in outpatient coding

whilton

Best answers
I was wondering if anyone has heard that when a physician uses a / between conditions that the physician is indicating the condition following the / is to be ruled out. For example right arm weakness/TIA would only be coded to the right arm weakness because the / is a common symbol in outpatient coding that indicates rule out. What documentation is there to support this is a common symbol to indicate rule out ?

I've seen this symbol used to mean different thing in different contexts - it can be used in the manner you describe as a separator between differential diagnoses to mean 'or', but I've also seen physicians use it to mean 'and' or 'with', e.g. 'anxiety/depression' or 'COPD/asthma'. I don't think it's possible to make a generalized assumptions about this, but in discussions with or queries to providers and in looking at the overall context of a notes, I think most coders over time will develop an understanding of what their providers are trying to say. I think the only safe thing to say is that if the meaning is unclear and it's critical information, then the provider should be queried.