Wiki Question on PA billing

jmm2kds

Contributor
Best answers
We have just employed a Physician Assistant, which is new for us so just looking for some input! We have her listed under one of our physicians; my question is can we bill under her for all insurances or do we need to bill under the supervising physician? It looks like for Medicare we can bill under her I'm just not sure about the rest of the Insurance companies.

Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

We have just employed a Physician Assistant, which is new for us so just looking for some input! We have her listed under one of our physicians; my question is can we bill under her for all insurances or do we need to bill under the supervising physician? It looks like for Medicare we can bill under her I'm just not sure about the rest of the Insurance companies.

Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

Not all of the insurance companies will allow you to direct bill the PA. Unfortunately you will have to do some research. Some of the Medicare Advantage plans (Blue Care Network Advantage, Priority, United Health) want them under a supervising doctor. BCBS will allow direct billing of midlevels. My best advice is to research your payors and make up a "midlevel grid" type spreadsheet that you can refer to when billing your claims. I hope this helps and good luck :)

Depends on the Payer. When billing for PA or NP services for ED, Inpatient or Observation to Medicare specifically, we always list both. MC also has a PA reduction. I agree with the previous reply, research :)

Thank you! Yes we are finding some want the supervising and some will take either. A spreadsheet of who does and doesn't is a good idea!