Wiki Question - I just got picked up by a hospital

daniel

True Blue
Best answers
I just got picked up by a hospital to do all there Intensivist coding.

Which will be dealing with Inpatient E/M and Critical Care services. Just trying to get a feel for what quota is out there for coding these services.

Meaning how many notes are being audited in an hour?

How many visits do your Intensivist see usually in a day?

For the record I will be pulling up the encounter forms on the computer, with this I can see what the physician coded and then I would be matching it with there dictated report to see if there coding correctly

Daniel, CPC

Picu

Daniel - When I worked for Pediatric Critical Care I covered all charges for the PICU and IICU (intermediate intensive care) ... a total of 36 beds on two floors. Due to transfers, discharges, admissions, I might have up to 48 patients seen in a day. When I started we didn't have any kind of EMR so I had to physically go to the units to check the charts for documentation (or to whichever floor the patient had been transferred to, or to med records if the patient had been discharged before I got my hands on the chart).

Now the hospital has expanded and they have 72 pediatric intensive care beds on 3 floors (NOT counting the NICU which has their own set of neonatologists and their own coder). And there are two coders assigned to capture all the charges.

Just as an aside, in those days of "chasing charts" I started using the stairs exclusively. One day I decided to count how many flights of stairs I did in a day - I counted ONLY the flights I went "up" - over the month I was keeping track I averaged 10 flights a day. (My all-time high was 15 flights in one day!)

Tired just thinking about it (No wonder I was MUCH thinner in those days!)

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC