Wiki Question for CIRCC coders

lorilipman

Best answers
I'm looking for some advice on how to get training for CIRCC coding. Did you get on-the-job training? Or did you study through an entity such as Dr. Z? I'm currently an inpatient coder with an interest in IR/Cardiovascular coding. Dr. Z seems quite expensive, and I'm wondering if there's a more economical way to get comprehensive training. Thanks!

they are all pricey. Medical Asset Management who created the CIRCC credential (and later sold it to AAPC) used to have a week long intensive training with the CIRCC test at the end. Not sure if they still do. The only other approved company for CIRCC CEUs is Panacea (formerly Medlearn). As far as I have ever been able to find, there are no inexpensive IR training materials or classes.

I was lucky enough to have on the job training and physicians who wanted me certified so sent me to the week long class and test.

Dr. Z is expensive but if you are lucky enough to get your hands on his IR Coding Reference it is an invaluable tool for learning IR. The coding and billing information is very detailed and includes great anatomical charts. I was lucky enough to have on the job training as well. It's nice to be able to have that dialogue with another coder that is experienced in the specialty. But the Dr. Z reference definitely helped piece stuff together, helped understand the procedures better, and helped me become really familiar with the coding and billing rules for IR procedures.

All the best,
Ryan Roberts, CPC, CIRCC, CANPC