Wiki Question about removing the A from CPC

PJBeeman

New
Best answers
I have worked for 8 years for my present employer doing medical billing and coding although I do not have a "coding" position, I work in A/R. Could my employer list my job duties currently correcting claims and looking up codes all day long to clear the apprentice status? Could a prior employer that I did medical billing for be able to give me a letter of my coding experience with them for 6 years? I am willing to do part-time remote coding to help work off the A, but there are no current coding positions open at my job.

I would say yes! If you look at the "Steps to Remove Your A" and the sample letter template, what they are asking your employer to verify is that you have "extensive knowledge in utilizing and maneuvering through the ICD-10-CM, CPT, and HCPCS coding books; which are required on a daily basis" followed by a brief description of your duties. Sounds like you're all set!

I've seen nothing that says you have to be in a "Coding position" or do nothing but pure coding all day. My duties are also more "Billing" than "Coding" ... I just need a couple more months before I can send my letters.

Here's the link to that page:
https://www.aapc.com/apprentice/applied-experience.aspx

I was proactive and had my employer submit letters before I took my exam. They were accepted and I was certified as a CPC from the get-go.

This was back in 2004 so I do not know if things have changed since then.