Wiki question about G0289

tmgexp1@yahoo.com

Networker
Best answers
Can someone please tell me the most current guidelines for using G0289? I have been reading conflicting articles. Is it true that as of Jan 2012, chondroplasty is included in 29881 (example), even when done on a medicare patient? I thought that we could use the G code on the medicare patients if the condroplasty was done in a different compartment than the menisectomy. Or is the chondroplasty now never allowed to be billed separately? Thanks!

Can someone please tell me the most current guidelines for using G0289? I have been reading conflicting articles. Is it true that as of Jan 2012, chondroplasty is included in 29881 (example), even when done on a medicare patient? I thought that we could use the G code on the medicare patients if the condroplasty was done in a different compartment than the menisectomy. Or is the chondroplasty now never allowed to be billed separately? Thanks!

Yes Chondroplasty (29877 + G0289) is included with 29880-29881. G0289 represents BOTH chondroplasty AND loose body removal. CCI edits updated that G0289 can be used with 29881 for loose body removal if done in separate compartment. I would add 59 mod to show it's not a chondroplasty. Most payers will deny claim and you'll need to appeal. Good luck.

the verbage in the CPT book now includes condroplasty same or separate compartment regardless of who the insurance carrier is. G0289 can still be used for loose body, foreign body if done at the same time as aonther arthroscopy if the loose body, foreign body is in a different compartment.

I hope this helps.