Wiki Question about Chief Complaint

LuckyLily

Guru
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
How would you handle this coding situation for the CC and parts of HPI?

This is what the physician documented,

History of Present Illness:
1. Follow up, review apt
(name here) is doing well generally--summary of his issues are below.

I don't feel this states a Chief Complaint and there are no elements for the HPI. I don't think I should query the provider asking for the chief complaint and HPI because this can create a different e/m level after the physician has already signed the note and I think this encroaches on leading the provider. In the assessment/plan the physician does state what they went over.

Would you determine this as non-billable? Looking for advice on what you would do. Thank you

I would allow this. The guidelines only state that the medical record should reflect the chief complete and that it should be a "concise statement describing the symptom, problem, condition, diagnosis, physician recommended return, or other factor that is the reason for the encounter." If the physician has stated that this is a follow up for the issues listed in the summary below, and that summary accurately documents those issues that required the follow up, then I believe that the note would meet the requirements.

It is not the best way to document a chief complaint and a feedback to the provider for documentation improvement may be a good idea if this is an ongoing problem, but I would not penalize the provider by making a service non-billable just because a minor issue such as this if the note otherwise supports a medically necessary E&M service..