Wiki Question about Certification Exams

jennylynh

Best answers
Hi all,

I am having a hard time deciding what certification to go after now, I currently hold my CPC. I have worked in Pathology almost 2 years, Radiology in the past and I absolutely love outpatient coding.
Right now it's coming down to the CCS vs COC vs CIC. I have taken the RHIT 3 times and failed, I don't like the AHIMA format. But which credential would make me more marketable?
I am interested in Inpatient coding, but I'm afraid of learning the new stuff that comes with it. I am so used to CPT.
Also I really want to get into ER and outpatient surgical.
Which one would you recommend? At least with the CIC I would get 1 free retake.

Hello,

I would suggest the CCS if you are truly wanting to get into inpatient coding. If you want to get into outpatient facility coding they usually will take CPC, COC, or CCS. The CCS is the golden standard for inpatient coding. The CIC is too new for many people to know it yet.

ICD-10-PCS is the hardest part to learn as an inpatient coder however if you have a good back ground in CPT it actually makes it a little easier to learn than if you have only been coding procedures in ICD-9 for inpatient.

I don't know how the exams will be for ICD-10-CM/PCS for the CCS and the CIC but I can say that they were very similar in difficulty in ICD-9.

I also know that depending on where you are located in the country some places have difference preferences.