Wiki QK billing

Best answers
My office is having problems when using the QK modifier. We are reducing the fee schedule amount by 50% prior to submitting claims to our various TPA's and are receiving an additional reduction on the reimbursements. When I appeal the decision, the payors and inquire why the allowed amounts were slashed an additional 50% I am being told that it is not a Medicare guideline just common sense not to reduce the billed amount prior to submission. Can anyone supply me with a source which states the provider must bill the full fee schedule amount for the anesthesia charges when using the QK modifier?

Thanks

I'm not sure if its in writing anywhere but in my training I was told not to reduce and let the payer handle that. Its also how it works at every payer I've worked for. I also don't understand provider groups that bill the contracted amount vs billing full amount and letting is take the contractual adjustment.

*edit*

I did just find a link about reductions and that Medicare will take them in the following document. I also checked the medicare claims manual and i don't see anything advising to reduce on the billing side only that payment will be reduced by Medivcare

https://www.noridianmedicare.com/pr...as_my_allowed_or_paid_amount_been_reduced.pdf

Last edited: