Wiki Pursue Medical biller job?

jlgrathwol

Best answers
I am unsure on if I should accept an interview with a local medical office software company. It's a full time job in their billing department, doing insurance filing, follow up and payment posting. It would pay equal to the office I'm working in now.
As I've heard from a few seasoned coders that the market is flooded, I know I need experience in billing or coding almost any way I can get it. I'm relatively new to the medical support field, been with a doctor's office since January.
Should I accept the interview? I'm pretty happy where I am, and I'm not sure I want to do billing and/or coding full time.

Hi there:

I just read your post and I would like to offer advice-

If you need experience to advance your coding career, this would be an excellent step for you. I've relied on my medical billing experience a few times when coding, so it is beneficial to you in our field.

Secondly, going on interviews can be fun, I believe. It gives you an opportunity to practice your interviewing skills.

Do a little internet homework on the company you are interviewing with. Try to find out more about the internal structure of the company or practice so that you can be prepared to ask questions about them. It kinda of turns the tables a bit and shows that your interested in the company/practice.

You never know--they may make an offer that you cannot refuse!!

Best of luck--

Deb K.

A lot depends on your career goals. Just exactly what is it that you are doing now? Billing and coding positions offer quite a challenge. A good biller is a precious commodity and should be highly valued as they can make or break a practice. The knowledge gained by working in this field will complement coding skills. But not everyone likes the billing aspect, whereas I have yet to cross paths with coders who dislike what they are doing. Interviewing for the position might be a real eye-opener as it will help to re-enforce your chosen career path.