Wiki PT to PTA supervision

LBJ

Best answers
I have a situation where a PT in an outpatient setting (PT practices w/ a Chiropractor) went on vacation and hired a PTA to see his patients during his absence. Their first thought was that this would be a locum tenens situation just like doctors can do, but now that they are recognizing the fact the locum tenens rules don't apply to PT's they want the services rebilled as Incident-to. My concern is that PTAs have to be supervised and the PT was not on sight. The chiropractor states that the PTA was being supervised by him and the PT states that the PTAs work was assessed by him and charts were signed off on by him once he returned. My first gut reaction was "this is not compliant", but I have to admit, their arguments are making me doubt myself. Medicare pointed me to their Pub 100-02 chapt 15 which make some good points, but they are disputing that also. Can anyone give me some insight? Please and Thanks!

According to Noridian Medicare, the rule is that the PT has to be in the office suite. When I billed PT (ages ago), our administration went round and round with this rule. They became ultraconservative with their Medicare billing. The chiro cannot supervise because he/she is a different specialty. You can double check that with your local PT association or the APTA.

Good luck!

Locum tenens - physical therapy

Physical Therapist would like to bring in another physical therapist to cover his patients during a vacation. Both are therapists not PTA's. Is there anyway to bill for the substitute PT? Do the rules pertaining to locum tenens apply only to physicians? Is there any other rule that would apply to this scenario?

Thanks,
Julie, CPC