Wiki PT Evaluation

Networker
Best answers
I have a question about billing the eval 97001.
For example,if we have a patient that has bilateral knee and back eval on the same day, how can that be billed? I know that it can only be billed with quantity of 1 but is there a way to bill and be reimbursed for the work and time that you spend for 2 or more body areas? I'm asking because I have a therapist that wants to bill 97001 x 2 or 3, and I don't have PT billing experience to advise. This is billing for WC.
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

In regards to your question,you can not bill 97001 x2 or x3. In these cases you need to set up two different appointments and do two separate evaluations otherwise you will only be paid for one.
In my office when this happens we have the patient have two different referral scripts and set up two different evals so that we are properly reimbursed. Treatment can then be given in the same session billing with correct dx codes.
If this is a WC patient, all the more reason two different appointments should be set up. Set them up back to back, but at least they are at two different times and noted that two different dx are being evaluated.

Hope this helps.

I agree with Atlanticcoder. I will add a caution. Make sure your PT, PTA or techs document clearly and truly the times that they treat the back and knees, especially if treating all in the same day. If the times are not documented then it will be very difficult if not impossible to prove that the treatment wasn't done all at the same time. Also please tell them to make sure the exercises are all different, ball for back, BAPS for knees are great but if they're warming up on the bike or hand bike, make sure that the area (back/knees) is clearly documented.