Wiki Providers and unspecified codes.. please help!

Best answers
Hi all,

I am new to my current practice and have been struggling to get my Providers to be more specific with their documentation/coding. Whenever it is addressed I am met with the push back of "Why does it matter, it's not like it pays more."
Has anyone else experienced this? I would love some suggestions on how to better get my point across. Extra bonus if you can provide a link to a resource so I can prove some legitimacy to them. TIA!

Hi all,

I am new to my current practice and have been struggling to get my Providers to be more specific with their documentation/coding. Whenever it is addressed I am met with the push back of "Why does it matter, it's not like it pays more."
Has anyone else experienced this? I would love some suggestions on how to better get my point across. Extra bonus if you can provide a link to a resource so I can prove some legitimacy to them. TIA!
The entire reason for switching from ICD.9 to ICD.10 was for greater specificity. More and more payers are denying claims with unspecified diagnosis codes. Maybe showing them denials for using unspecified codes may change their minds. I think their focus needs to be corrected. This is not just about payments. Medical records become legal documents and are used for many reason other than getting paid. Other providers read them, but don't get much out of them if the documentation is not specific. There is also litigation. If your provider is ever in court and has to defend what they did and why, the provider may wish they had documented better. As times go on more claims will be denied for using unspecified codes.

There are times when unspecified codes are appropriate, for example if the provider simply does not know enough about the patient's condition to be able to specify. A common example of this is a urinary tract infection - in most cases, a provider does not the 'site' of a UTI, so the UTI, 'site not specified' code is perfectly appropriate. The provider should not be told that they need to be more specific in cases like this, and it is certainly not appropriate to be giving providers the impression that this is going to cause denials, or otherwise lead them to think they need to do unnecessary additional testing solely for the purpose of getting more specificity in order to get paid. Payer don't generally deny these types of unspecified codes, and if they do deny them, that is an error on their part that they need to correct.

On the other hand, there are cases where a lack of specificity in documentation is not appropriate. The best example of this is laterality - there really is no excuse for a provider not specifying whether a condition is on the left or right side in case, for example, of a breast cancer, foot ulcer or fracture of a bone in a limb. These are the type of unspecified codes that are often denied by payers.

So I would tell the providers that they should be specific when they can - if the have the information, then they should be documenting it. But they shouldn't be told it's a problem if they simply don't have the information available. Sometimes an unspecified code is the most appropriate one to use. I think many providers are averse to hearing coders ask for specificity because they've been incorrectly told that unspecified codes should rarely or never be used, which is clear not the case. Hope this helps some.

Hi all,

Sorry you're getting some push back on this! I would recommend taking this to your manager or provider education team if you have one. There is a time and place for unspecified ICD-10 codes, but when laterality or specificity is an option, it's always best to include this. Additionally, I'd let your providers know that insurance payors can (and do - I see it often) deny claims due to unspecified laterality or not coding to the highest specificity possible.

AHIMA Improving Specificity
CMS Specificity - on slide 15 this talks about general vs. specific codes

This is all good advice. It is situational. As you are advised above, there are many cases where it is appropriate. We can't just use generalized feedback of, "You need to improve your documentation...!" Providers want concrete examples, you need to have reputable sources of information and official guidance and citations for your recommendations. If the documentation is questionable or not enough to code, does your place of employment not have a query process? Are certain providers receiving a higher rate of queries than others? Do certain providers receive more denials for medical necessity (LCD, etc.) and diagnoses than others? Do certain providers have a higher rejection and denial rate overall? Does your practice have regular audits? These are all places to start looking for opportunties for improvement. Most practices or RCM companies have internal data analytics and other reporting systems to analyze this. While it is always good to provide "on the ground" feedback as the person doing the coding, I would suggest following the chain of command or org. chart for bringing concerns. Are you being advised to go directly to a provider with concerns, what is the process for this in your particular company? Do coders have a direct relationship with providers where they are expected to do this themselves? Do you have an audit and education team? Decreasing provider push-back and having meaningful and helpful feedback sessions can be a very delicate process.

A coder or other RCM employee (however well intentioned and especially if NEW) using sweeping generalizations like, "This payer is denying everything!" or "This provider does not document correctly!" or "You need to document better!" is really not helpful. The advice above about bringing concerns (with some specific examples) to a supervisor, manager, CDI team, auditor, etc. is good advice.

Your resources would be the coding guidelines (CPT, ICD, HCPCS, etc.), CPT Assistant, Coding Clinic, LCD, NCD (CMS, etc.), specific payer and contract guidelines for the practice, specialty societies, and other nationally recognized sources.