Wiki Provider missed delivery, but arrived when placenta was spontaneously delivered

amwittler

Contributor
Best answers
Our provider was not present in the room when the pt delivered, but she arrived as the placenta delivered spontaneously. Is it appropriate to code 59414 Delivery of placenta (separate procedure)? The description of the code describes a retained placenta, which was not the case.

Hello, I am not an expert and I am still learning. Our Delivery moderator is on vacation but I hope someone else will respond to you. As for me, i would Not code for the delivery of the placenta because it was not delivered by MD.
59514 description (for those that don't have CPT book on hand)- "The physician places abdominal pressure just above the symphysis to elevate the uterus into the abdomen and prevent inversion of the uterus. This also helps move the placenta downward into the vagina. The umbilical cord is very gently pulled to help guide the placenta out of the birth canal. If the placenta cannot be removed by this technique or there is brisk bleeding, manual removal of the placenta may be indicated. Manual removal requires adequate analgesia or anesthesia. It is accomplished by grasping the fundus of the uterus with a hand on the abdomen. The other hand, wearing an elbow-length glove, is passed through the vagina into the uterus to separate the placenta and remove it.""