Wiki Provider Injection versus nurse injection

Yjrieken

Contributor
Best answers
Is it appropriate to charge a 99212 for a face to face provider injection and a room charge for a specialty clinic visit? I usually charge a 99211 for a nurse visit with an injection and nothing else, so this is a little different. It is our specialty clinic, not the RHC.

Is it appropriate to charge a 99212 for a face to face provider injection and a room charge for a specialty clinic visit? I usually charge a 99211 for a nurse visit with an injection and nothing else, so this is a little different. It is our specialty clinic, not the RHC.
No, those codes are for E&M services, not for injections. If the only service provided is an injection, then you should only be charging the injection code.

99211 and 99212 require documentation of an E&M service, and if performed on the same day as the injection, then the documentation would also need to support a service that is 'significant and separately identifiable' from the injection. A separate 'clinic visit' charge isn't justified unless your documentation meets these requirements.

No, those codes are for E&M services, not for injections. If the only service provided is an injection, then you should only be charging the injection code.

99211 and 99212 require documentation of an E&M service, and if performed on the same day as the injection, then the documentation would also need to support a service that is 'significant and separately identifiable' from the injection. A separate 'clinic visit' charge isn't justified unless your documentation meets these requirements.
Thank you for the reply. I do know that the injection would normally be the only charge along with drug. However, we usually charge 2 codes for specialty clinic visits. One for the room, one for the E/M service. So we were thinking of charging out the room code at a 99211 level(our internal code), but there would not be the E/M charge for the service. For instance, a regular visit at the SC, no procedure, we charge the E/M level code for the service and the E/M level code for the room. Does that make sense? I think we ended up not charging for the specialty clinic room in this case as this rarely happens at the SC.

Thank you for the reply. I do know that the injection would normally be the only charge along with drug. However, we usually charge 2 codes for specialty clinic visits. One for the room, one for the E/M service. So we were thinking of charging out the room code at a 99211 level(our internal code), but there would not be the E/M charge for the service. For instance, a regular visit at the SC, no procedure, we charge the E/M level code for the service and the E/M level code for the room. Does that make sense? I think we ended up not charging for the specialty clinic room in this case as this rarely happens at the SC.
There is no such thing in coding as a ‘room charge’, you can’t simply attach a charge for the patient being in the room - any charge has to be associated with a documented service. It sounds like you are talking about split billing here with a charge for the professional service and a ‘room charge’ representing the hospital’s facility charge corresponding to that same service - is that what you mean? If that’s the case, you’re correct that for the E/M service you can bill one charge for the provider and one for the hospital. But for an injection, there is only a hospital charge - there is no professional service portion for an injection - only the hospital can bill this. This is true whether the provider or the nurse performs the injection. So you can’t add on an E/M room charge on top of this, unless there was some kind of an E/M service also performed at that same encounter.

There is no such thing in coding as a ‘room charge’, you can’t simply attach a charge for the patient being in the room - any charge has to be associated with a documented service. It sounds like you are talking about split billing here with a charge for the professional service and a ‘room charge’ representing the hospital’s facility charge corresponding to that same service - is that what you mean? If that’s the case, you’re correct that for the E/M service you can bill one charge for the provider and one for the hospital. But for an injection, there is only a hospital charge - there is no professional service portion for an injection - only the hospital can bill this. This is true whether the provider or the nurse performs the injection. So you can’t add on an E/M room charge on top of this, unless there was some kind of an E/M service also performed at that same encounter.
Thank you for your reply.