Wiki Provider Cosign for Code 99211

In 2018 I was at an OMSA conference asked this same question the the speaker.

Q-RN notes. When our physicians have a standing order (ie: BP checks, weight checks, B-12 shots, etc.) and the patient presents for care, the RN creates a procedure note, documents the care given, notes the standing order info and then signs the note electronically. The 99211 is then billed out under the ordering physician’s name but the physician does not co-sign the RN’s note. Can you tell me if the co-signature is a requirement for CMS and if so possibly direct me to a link so that I may share it with the practice compliance officer?
A- For all nursing services that are treatment oriented (shots, BP checks, education) co-signature is required by the supervising physician (that may be different than the ordering physician. This requirement is identified in the CMS memo on signatures and testing) This is also where it is identified that PA and NP notes do not need to be signed

Hope this helps

In 2018 I was at an OMSA conference asked this same question the the speaker.

Q-RN notes. When our physicians have a standing order (ie: BP checks, weight checks, B-12 shots, etc.) and the patient presents for care, the RN creates a procedure note, documents the care given, notes the standing order info and then signs the note electronically. The 99211 is then billed out under the ordering physician’s name but the physician does not co-sign the RN’s note. Can you tell me if the co-signature is a requirement for CMS and if so possibly direct me to a link so that I may share it with the practice compliance officer?
A- For all nursing services that are treatment oriented (shots, BP checks, education) co-signature is required by the supervising physician (that may be different than the ordering physician. This requirement is identified in the CMS memo on signatures and testing) This is also where it is identified that PA and NP notes do not need to be signed

Hope this helps
Sorry, OSMA not OMSA