Wiki Provider audits per year

Best answers
For the Coding Compliance folks out there...how many providers are you required to audit per year?

This is a moving target for us. We are continually bringing on new providers and loosing some. Our role in our organization isn't just to provide audits we are also required to onboard and train any new providers which includes pre-reviewing there charts until they reach a 90% accuracy rating or 3 months (whichever comes 1st). IN addition the auditing/education team provides support to the coding staff. We are also often members of process improvement teams. With that all said we average about 50 providers each of us will oversee (multiple specialties).

Hope this helps.
Steph

I audit ALL of our providers every year, including new providers in a process very similar to what Steph is describing. I also audit residents who work with some of our specialties, this includes inpatient (we are an outpatient facility, but have hospital privileges) coding as well.

On average I audit about 120-150 providers each year (multiple specialties including physical therapists, dietitians, and psychologists).

accuracy

Hello
I have a question, we are just now implementing our providers choosing their own E&M levels. I have read several threads that state CMS requires them to maintain a 95% accuracy rate. Would you be familiar with that location of that information? I am unable to locate on CMS site.

Also from research I have seen CMS requires coding to be 95% accurate and providers more of an internal policy per your entity.

Could you share some insight how your facility handles this?

Also after they have reached their accuracy standards how often do you audit them and how many charts?

Prior to this coding has read and assigned all E&M in our facility, needless to say policies need created and physician put to ease with comfort on the topic.

Thank you
Dawn