Wiki Prostate surgery

LTibbetts

Best answers
I have been seeing a few of these lately where the doc is removing necrotic tissue at the base of the prostate using a retroscope after the laser procedure is done. Is this considered an integral part of this procedure or are we able to capture it? He makes a completely new entry on the op note and clearly states that this is following the laser procedure, that he is using a different tool, and he also states that his reason for doing it is a shorter period required for a catheter. It seems like we might be able to charge for it or am I just reading too much into it or maybe misunderstanding why the procedure is being done in the first place? I haven't done a lot with urology so any help is appreciated.

Good morning,
If the surgeon is performing the laser vaporization (52648), the descriptor of that code lists “…….transurethral resection of prostate is (are) included if performed” so I would consider the removal of the prostatic tissue included.
I hope this is helpful!

It does, thank you! I am so used to coding colonoscopies and if a different tol is used, it is also coded so I just couldn't seem to get past that notion. Thanks for your help:)