Wiki Preventative exams dix codes

zickgrafkd

Best answers
One of the coders in our group brought this question to me. She asked if a female patient comes in for her periodic comprehensive preventive medicine reevaluation which included a gyn exam, should we be using Z00.00 AND Z01.419 (eg. if no new problems encountered)?

I checked the guidelines, AHA Coding Clinic and all other dependable resources I could think of and could not answer this question.

With insurance companies pulling all kinds of data from claims to see it patients have had their yearly physicals, gyn exams, etc., I think it might be right to code with these two diagnosis codes. The gyn exam code is specifically worded and says "general (routine) gyn exam".

I would appreciate any information/input that you would be willing to share.

One of the coders in our group brought this question to me. She asked if a female patient comes in for her periodic comprehensive preventive medicine reevaluation which included a gyn exam, should we be using Z00.00 AND Z01.419 (eg. if no new problems encountered)?

I checked the guidelines, AHA Coding Clinic and all other dependable resources I could think of and could not answer this question.

With insurance companies pulling all kinds of data from claims to see it patients have had their yearly physicals, gyn exams, etc., I think it might be right to code with these two diagnosis codes. The gyn exam code is specifically worded and says "general (routine) gyn exam".

I would appreciate any information/input that you would be willing to share.

If you look in the coding guidelines in the chapter regarding Z codes. At the end of that chapter is a section for Z codes that can only be first listed. In that section you will see that Z00 codes and Z01 codes are categories where the codes are allowed only first listed so you cannot use Z00.00 and Z01.419 both on the same claim. you can code the Z00.00 with the Z code for the cervical screening is one was performed.