Wiki Preventative Exam on Same day as E/M AND injection

k.keller

New
Best answers
We have several patients who have come in for their annual preventative exam. While here (as always) they are also seen for some other medical issue and are charged with a separately identifiable E/M code and a -25 modifier is added to this line item. The patient also receives a vaccination or injection by our nursing staff and the administration code 90401 or the injection code 96372 is also added. Because both the E/M code and the preventative medicine code are to be bundled into the vax injection or IM injection code, I've added a -59 modifier to this code. The carriers are all bundling the preventative exam in with the injection code. What am I missing? The injection code is in the column 1 for the NCCI edits, so perhaps a -59 modifier should go on the preventative exam code but this is not a procedure, which is what this modifier is for so I am just stuck!! I've contemplated adding a second -25 modifier to the preventative exam code but I've never seen this before - claim with (2) -25 modifiers? This started occurring with the 10/1/12 HCPCS update. Is anyone else experiencing this? How do I fix it?! Help!

Krystin Keller

I would add modifier 25 to the preventative code. I've seen this before and it looks odd, but it should compliantly get you paid.

I would add modifier 25 to the preventative code. I've seen this before and it looks odd, but it should compliantly get you paid.
Thank you!! I will try it all at this point but I want my appeal to be strong so I didn't want to just wing it! Thanks for letting me know that you have at least seen this before!

I also have added the 25 modifier to the preventative visit. It will pay. As long as you have documentation to support your visit charges there should be no worry. I would evalutate whether or not your separate E&M is truly justifiable.