Wiki Prev & E/M

Best answers
What is the proper way to bill new patient preventive (99385) with an E/M? Is the E/M considered new or established? Do both get modifier 25? Thanks for your help.

If reason for new patient visit is the preventive care, then 99385. Modifier 25 indicates that on the day of a procedure like a preventive care visit, the patient's condition required a significant, separately identifiable E/M service, above and beyond the usual pre and post-operative care associated with the procedure or service performed.
Use Modifier 25 with the appropriate level of E/M service. So in this case,
99385 Dx: V----- for new patient preventive check, then
Established patient 99213-25 for Dx: 462.-- or whatever illness.

If reason for new patient visit is the preventive care, then 99385. Modifier 25 indicates that on the day of a procedure like a preventive care visit, the patient's condition required a significant, separately identifiable E/M service, above and beyond the usual pre and post-operative care associated with the procedure or service performed.
Use Modifier 25 with the appropriate level of E/M service. So in this case,
99385 Dx: V----- for new patient preventive check, then
Established patient 99213-25 for Dx: 462.-- or whatever illness.

I agree, and I dislike split billing! Be mindful that the E/M with the 25 modifier will trigger a copay for the patient if he or she has a copay. This is why I tend to avoid preventative coupled with an E/M same day. It's messy.

Also, I've read (I forget where) that some payers will reject an E/M greater than a level 2 with modifier 25 when coupled with a preventative code. Medicaid in my state will reject the claim if it's split billed. If the patient is sicker than a level 2 then they are not 'well' enough for a 'well' visit. The provider needs to adjust the visit to an E/M and schedule another visit for the preventative. Either way, the patient is charged one copay - same day or different days.

Hope that makes sense.