Wiki Prescription drug management for MDM

mnuhfer04

Networker
Best answers
Good morning!

In regards to prescription drug management for MDM, our MAC states that simply stating in the medical record that a prescription is renewed does not meet the risk criteria in MDM.
Our providers will state in the medical record:
"Continue meds as prescribed, for refills see meds listed below" and they will list each med being continued, renewed or d/c'd.
Should this be counted as prescription drug management for MDM? Some resources I've read say yes this will suffice, and others not.

Can I get someone opinions on this please, I keep second guessing myself.
Thanks!

Anything I have read would instruct this to be counted as prescription drug management. Can you please provide the MAC guidance that states prescription renewals would not count? Perhaps their wording could improve, but if the exact med/dosage is listed & then specifically to continue, renew or discontinue, that meets requirements to me.
From AMA https://www.ama-assn.org/system/files/2021-06/ama-em-updates-organizations-moving-forward-paper.pdf:
"Appropriate documentation of prescription drug management continues to be an opportunity for many physicians. Doctors need to know that simply adding the current medication list to the progress note is not adequate. Prescription drug management is based on documented evidence that the physician has evaluated medications as part of a service that is provided. Physicians should make a direct connection between the medication that is prescribed to the patient and the work that was performed on the day of the clinic visit, such as: “Stable hypertension; continue valsartan 10 milligrams, will refill for 4 months until next follow-up visit.” Simply stating that the medication list was reviewed will not meet the definition of prescription management."