Wiki Prepare for Exam Advice

dgarri

Networker
Best answers
I am just about done with Anatomy and am thinking about taking the 4 month prep course for the CPC exam. But I am also wondering if anyone has taken the 3 day Boot Camp to prepare or maybe just the practice exams. Which would be more helpful when it really comes down to it. So my options are

4 Month prep course
3 Day boot camp
Practice exams only

I am really looking for some advice from those that have prepared and taken the CPC exam. Also if I take the 4 month course I would finish in Dec 2010- the exam date would probably end up in 2011 - would I then need the 2011 books for that?? I am open for any advice - thanks so much.
Dgarri

I've take the bootcamp course and i feel like i am very prepared for the exam, in the bootcamp you are given a mock exam that pretty much resembles the exam and i did very well on the exam. I will express to you that the bootcamp day do by pretty fast, my suggestion that that if you have prior experience with billing or coding that the bootcamp is the way to goo. However, if you have no experience with billing/coding at all then take the 4month course..

Thanks for the input Missjewel - does anyone else out there have any advice. I do have some experience but it is strickly in Cardiology therefore I think I am in need of further prep for the CPC Exam.

I found the exam prep book very helpful. Before I had taken the test I did go to school for billing & coding. The coding education was somewhat limited but the background of A&P & Biology was most important. I worked for a prosthetics provider for a year before I took the exam. I was worried that working in a specialty lie that for that time may have hurt me so I purchased the exam prep book from AAPC. I used that and I purchased one of the practice exams. The book was great! It had much more than I needed. The practice test helped to get a feel for what the format would be like. If you have some background and all you need is a refresher and would like to do it for a minimal cost I would suggest the exam prep book it has a lot of useful info to refresh you.

Oh, I would also recomend current year books. They will throw on a few that it will make the difference for, even in January. If you are not ready to make the purchase you can check with your local library and see if you can check them out there. I know that my local library has them. Also, you can always schedule your exam nefore you finish your course and try for a December date. Check your local schedules, the testing dates should be listed thru the end of the year.

Last edited: