Wiki Pre-Surgery visits

GBielskis

Best answers
I understand that any pre-visit by a physician before a surgery or procedure is included in the reimbursement of the procedure.
But, if the patient comes into the office, has labs, is seen by a nurse or MA, given instructions on the procedure, answers any questions about the surgery/procedure, sometimes watches a video, nurse notes are done in the chart, is it OK to charge a 99211 ?
Or is that all considered included in the procedure, even though there are no global days, such as a heart cath? This would take place approximately 5 days prior to the procedure.

When I used to work for an OB/GYN, this was considered a pre-op visit. The patient would come in and watch a video, have vitals, Dr. would listen to heart/lungs and answer all questions, then the patient was given orders for pre-op workup including labwork and xrays if needed to take to the hospital's pre-op testing dept.

So to answer your question, yes this is included in the global.
HTH :)

I understand that any pre-visit by a physician before a surgery or procedure is included in the reimbursement of the procedure.
But, if the patient comes into the office, has labs, is seen by a nurse or MA, given instructions on the procedure, answers any questions about the surgery/procedure, sometimes watches a video, nurse notes are done in the chart, is it OK to charge a 99211 ?
Or is that all considered included in the procedure, even though there are no global days, such as a heart cath? This would take place approximately 5 days prior to the procedure.

if you bill it 5 days prior to surgery then it would not be included in global (global starts one day prior to surgery). However all of this is part of per op and to do it 5 days prior just to get it out of global days is not ethical .