Wiki Pre-Operative/Pre-Anesthesia Test for preventative colonoscopy

cglatzhofer

Best answers
Hello, Just wondering if you go for a pre-admission test for a preventative colonoscopy at age 54 and you see a NP and they just ask questions and take your blood pressure and they list every single diagnosis you've had in your life and bill 99214 is that correct or not. I've been going round and round with this provider and said the dx should have been preventative colonoscopy Z12.11 and the cpt code should have been 99396. Any thoughts on this.

Last edited:
My first thought was, WHAT PRE-ADMISSION TEST??? I've had this lovely procedure, and there was no "pre-admission test", because there was no admission. It's an in-and-out procedure (pun intended), and there is no admission. I didn't even meet the doctor who did mine until I was in the pre-op area.

I would say what you had done was not a wellness exam (99396) and frankly not a 99214 either. The decision was already made to do the test, so there was no need to do all those other things. At best I would call it a 99212, although there was no chief complaint. When the nurse calls a day or two before the procedure, they ask you about illnesses and whatnot.

AAFP has this to say: Question: Is a preoperative physical performed prior to a screening colonoscopy considered part of the colonoscopy, or is it separately billable? The office visit is not the same day as the colonoscopy, but it does have the same diagnosis. If it is billable, how should we code for it? Would it be a consult, since another doctor referred the patient to me? Answer: This is usually not a billable service. Colonoscopy services are assigned a “000-day” global period. Chapter 6 of the National Correct Coding Initiative manual states, “If a procedure has a global period of 000 or 010 days, it is defined as a minor surgical procedure. The decision to perform a minor surgical procedure is included in the payment for the minor surgical procedure and should not be reported separately as an E/M service. However, a significant and separately identifiable E/M service unrelated to the decision to perform the minor surgical procedure is separately reportable with modifier 25.”
An office visit might be reported if, in the usual pre-procedure work, the physician uncovers a diagnostic reason for the colonoscopy or an indication that precludes performing the procedure.

Thank you. I have changed pre-admission to Pre-Operative/Pre-Anesthesia. I liked your in/out procedure. I don't know why they call it pre admission because I am never admitted either. Anyways, I called and spoke to the manager of the NP that saw me and was trying to ask her why they have melanoma of the back which I had and was treated for in the late 1980's. Well she kept talking over me. However, I have had colonoscopies every year since the age 50 and pre operative/pre anesthesia visits before each one and never was charged for it until 2019. Insurance has paid for all of the colonoscopies each year as preventative due to the fact that I am carrying the colon cancer gene Mutyh so I am preventing getting colon cancer. I have no sickness and/or no injuries or any symptoms. So she kept talking over me and stating I was being argumentative and I replied I just would like to know what melanoma of the back has anything to do with my preventative colonoscopy. Then she told me I was banned from calling or coming to the hospital. I never raised my voice or used any abusive language, I was just trying to get an answer to my question. My visit was 07-02-2019 and colonoscopy was 07-18-2019. So I got no where, just banned.

So a manager banned you from the hospital? I would think I would be writing a letter to someone higher up the food chain, as well as calling and speaking to perhaps their patient ombudsman's office (if they handle issues with people who are not currently in the hospital) and perhaps their risk management office, as well as the manager of their billing department. I would also be filing a complaint with whoever I could think of, including my own insurance company.

"History of" something isn't billed as a diagnosis unless there is a code that is specifically for that. So if you, at one time, had a broken leg, that wouldn't be coded in the medical record unless there was a code for "history of broken leg". And if you were going in for a colonoscopy, history of broken leg wouldn't go on the bill, because it was part of your past and has zero to do with why you are there.

Now, does skin cancer have anything to do with a possibility of colon cancer? I don't know, I'm not a doctor. But I know that putting a diagnosis of skin cancer on a claim when you do not have skin cancer is at best, misguided, and at worst, fraudulent.