Wiki Pre operative evaluations

Best answers
I have a physician who saw a patient who's scheduled for a posterior spinal fusion next month and wanted to follow up with them to see exactly if the curve has gotten worse and to what degree it might be at now. I was told that I must bill a 99024 because decision for surgery was made prior to the follow up visit. I feel like I need to bill a low level established patient visit (i.e. 99212) according the MDM guidelines.

If someone can please assist me with the better choice I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

You can bill the E&M code if it's a medically necessary visit unless it's just a per-operative check on the day before or the day of the procedure. The global period of the surgery does not begin until the day before a major procedure and, that just encompasses the routine preoperative work. If the provider needs to evaluate or treat the patient prior to that, it's not considered part of the global surgical package.

You can bill the E&M code if it's a medically necessary visit unless it's just a per-operative check on the day before or the day of the procedure. The global period of the surgery does not begin until the day before a major procedure and, that just encompasses the routine preoperative work. If the provider needs to evaluate or treat the patient prior to that, it's not considered part of the global surgical package.

I agree, the procedure is scheduled for next month and the patient has been complaining of more complications due to her curve so he needed to re-exam her.