Wiki Pre op visits-Can anyone send

rgrimes

Networker
Best answers
Can anyone send me information regarding billing for pre-op visits? The only thing I can find with CMS states that the visit the day before is included in the surgery. My surgeon wants to know if it is OK to bill for the preop visit if it is done days before the surgery. I'm trying to find more detailed information to give him regarding this.

Thank you

Ruth Ann

AAPC published an article on 1/29/13 called Report Presurgical H&P with Caution. You can search it under the AAPC News section (I'm not sure how to attach it). See if that helps you.

Can anyone send me information regarding billing for pre-op visits? The only thing I can find with CMS states that the visit the day before is included in the surgery. My surgeon wants to know if it is OK to bill for the preop visit if it is done days before the surgery. I'm trying to find more detailed information to give him regarding this.

Thank you

Ruth Ann

CPT Assistant has a great article that states that a pre-op is not billable no matter how many days before surgery..

CPT Assistant has a great article that states that a pre-op is not billable no matter how many days before surgery..

I just located that article after reading some other posts. It's from May 2009 CPT assistant. It's some good solid information on this topic. Our office went around on this and I stood firm on this that we weren't going to bill pre-op H&P's after the decision was already made to do surgery. Thanks. ;)