Wiki Pre-op E/M

AmandaBriggs

Expert
Best answers
Here is a scenario that I have been researching and thought I would reach out to my fellow coders to see what you think.

I work for a cardiology group and we routinely do pre-operative exams to determine the patient's cardiac risk for the upcoming surgical procedure. Sometimes we see these patients as referrals from the surgeons due to the patient's cardiac history, other times they are required by the anesthesiologist based on an abnormal pre-op EKG.

My question is this: When it comes to the table of risk on the E/M audit form can my cardiologist claim credit for elective major surgery w/ identified risk factors if he supports his reasoning even if he is not doing the surgery? He is addressing the underlying risk factors but not necessarily the specific problem that the patient is undergoing surgery for. I believe that because the surgeon is taking on the patient's surgical risk then he/she would receive this credit, not the cardiologist. However, I do have physicians that argue that these exams are very complex and entail a high degree of medical decision making in that the cardiologist is taking on the risk for surgery by "clearing" the patient.

I would love to see what other's take on this is. I've been researching for a while and can't seem to find anything that points me in one direction or another. Would love to see something written if anyone has anything.

Last edited:
I would give the provider credit for the risk associated with clearing the patient to undergo surgery, even if they aren't the ones doing the surgery.

If they are truly doing a pre-op clearance due to some reason and not just doing the H&P because the surgeon doesn't want to, then they are taking on that risk.

If they are responsible enough for the patients care to stop the procedure from happening by not clearing the patient then they are just as responsible for the patient care if they clear them for the surgery.

Just my take on it,

Laura, CPC, CPMA, CPC-I, CANPC, CEMC

I agree with Laura. The cardiologist has to use his or her skill and knowledge to determine the cardiac risk factor for the surgical candidate, and while that doctor may not be assessing the risk for the actual surgery, he or she is assessing the risk of cardiac complications that can arise during the surgery. So, yes, the physician can take credit for the high level of risk.