Wiki pre-op dx of malignant neoplasm, post op after radiation of no malignancy

EricaR

Networker
Best answers
Curious on the proper coding of these situations. Pt. had a biospy proven rectal ca., had radiation then surgical excision and there was no mailignancy identified. Thanks!

Curious on the proper coding of these situations. Pt. had a biospy proven rectal ca., had radiation then surgical excision and there was no mailignancy identified. Thanks!

I would still code it as rectal cancer (i am assuming you are asking about ICD-9 coding for the surgical excision) as there was a tissue diagnosis of cancer done previously and it was the reason for the radiation and subsequent excision that was done.

Debbie CPC,CGSC

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for the response. You assume correctly, I was asking about ICD-9 for surgical excision. I agree with what you are saying. We've discussed it multiple times in our practice and most recently we were thinking it may be appropriate to code the benign findings as 1st then hx of 2nd. However, the hx of codes indicate that after cancer is done being treated that is when you would go from cancer to hx of cancer so I don't necessarily feel like that is appropriate. I def. lean toward what you stated. Thanks!

Erica