Wiki Pre-Billing for Surgical Procedures

lfine

Best answers
How do other Surgery practices in the area collect patient payments? We are finding that a lot of our patients are not paying copays/coinsurance/deductibles post operatively and they end up in collections. Do any other practices have pre-payment policies?

Well, I'm not in your area, but around here the Finance Manager meets with the patient or calls them, after running their benefits, and tells them what their expected financial responsibility will be. Then they discuss payment arrangements.

I know that every clinic struggles with this. Here is where your clinic staff can make a difference. When patients walk into your clinic and they can tell from the demeanor of the staff that they know what they are doing and that they take their work seriously, you will collect more money up front.

Also not in your area, but we only collect (or even attempt to collect) prior to surgery if the patient does not have insurance.
This may also vary a lot depending on your specialty. For example, I work in gyn onc. We are not going to delay a necessary and urgent cancer surgery if the patient can't pay her $250 deductible prior.

Also not in your area, but we only collect (or even attempt to collect) prior to surgery if the patient does not have insurance.
This may also vary a lot depending on your specialty. For example, I work in gyn onc. We are not going to delay a necessary and urgent cancer surgery if the patient can't pay her $250 deductible prior.
We are neurosurgery, some cases are urgent but some are not