Wiki Practicode or CPB

Best answers
Hi!

I just earned my CPC-A in June, and, like everyone else, looking to break into the field and make myself more marketable.

I've been considering Practicode to remove my 'A', but I've seen a lot of advice from seasoned coders telling novices to look for jobs in billing or charge entry to get a foot in the door, so now I'm thinking that I might be better off going after a CPB certification instead to get a job...also my employer would reimburse me the cost of AAPC's CPB course. Any thought/recommendations?

Thanks, Kristen

I am doing the practicode to get the A off.

I had a hard time finding a coding job that I went to a temp agency that was looking for coders and billers. They placed me in a training program at a top teaching hospital in my area. After a month of hard work I was placed in the coding department doing non coding stuff but I got my foot in the right door.

I think the roles of CPCs are changing in some areas. My background is billing. I obtained my CPC years ago, but have only had a few years coding and I'm now back in billing, which I love!

If your employer is willing to pay for CPB course-I would recommend taking it! I have been in billing 20 years-did 3 practice tests and self studied materials I printed. It was difficult and I learned a lot from the practice tests and studying, so the course would be valuable. The more you learn on the billing side, the more well-rounded you'll be when you are able to land your coding position! But, I also am considering taking the practicode for the coding experience! I think it looks like an awesome opportunity for exposure to various specialties.

Best of luck!!

Last edited:
Thank you for the feedback. I'm definitely leaning towards the CPB course, since my employer would pay and since I realize when reading job descriptions that I am not really familiar with the whole billing cycle.

I work as a phlebtomist for a big teaching hospital that sometimes posts positions for apprentice coders, so I reached out to employee resources but no dice so far. I would love to transfer within because of retirement, pension and all that....maybe I will have a better chance of transfering if I keep making them pay for courses.;)