Wiki Practicode and HCPCs help please

TVaughn86

New
Best answers
I have searched and also reached out on the facebook group and still don't have the answer.
Do I, or do I not use HCPC codes in an ED medical chart where they gave a injection for a pain medicine?

If not, why not? Is it because there isn't a "box" dedicated for HPCPs?

I have searched and also reached out on the facebook group and still don't have the answer.
Do I, or do I not use HCPC codes in an ED medical chart where they gave a injection for a pain medicine?

If not, why not? Is it because there isn't a "box" dedicated for HPCPs?

You wouldn't bill a drug HCPC on an ER physician claim. The physician is administering the drug, but not supplying it.

In the ER setting, the facility is supplying the drug and would include the drug charge on the facility claim.

You wouldn't bill a drug HCPC on an ER physician claim. The physician is administering the drug, but not supplying it.

In the ER setting, the facility is supplying the drug and would include the drug charge on the facility claim.
Thankyou for the reply.
The medical record shows EVERYTHING from triage to discharge. So does that make it a facility claim or a physician claim?
It says Medical Record and below that it says Emergency Department.

Your reply takes me to another question: Practicode, it says we are coding "medical records"..... Not "claims". when I did these two classes, CPC and CPB, we coded everything in the CPC class. In the CPB class, we just filled out "claims" off of medical records received where the coding is already done, right?
So, in the above question, it's an Emergency Department medial record, with absolutely everything from triage to discharge; whom am I coding this for? The physician or the facility? And how do I determine that if it just says "Emergency Department".

Thankyou for the reply.
The medical record shows EVERYTHING from triage to discharge. So does that make it a facility claim or a physician claim?

Your reply takes me to another question: Practicode, it says we are coding "medical records"..... Not "claims". when I did these two classes, CPC and CPB, we coded everything in the CPC class. In the CPB class, we just filled out "claims" off of medical records received where the coding is already done, right?
So, in the above question, it's an Emergency Department medial record, with absolutely everything from triage to discharge; whom am I coding this for? The physician or the facility? And how do I determine that if it just says "Emergency Department".

In Practicode, I suspect that it will always be the physician record you're coding.

Physician documentation and facility documentation looks different - once you get out there and code from real records, you'll know who the provider is. On the Practicode documentation, there should at least be a signature somewhere on the record indicating the physician's name.

Thankyou for the reply.

A CPC coder will code for physician's charges. So unless you're also studying for the CIC, you won't be coding for the facility charges. As a CPC, you'll code for everything the provider does at the facility (E/M, surgery, professional component of radiology), but the charges for rooms, supplies, technical charges for radiology, etc will be billed separately by the facility.