Wiki Postpartum and codes from chapter 15

kparker1980

Best answers
Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding postpartum follow up visits and codes from chapter 15. My provider has coded a postpartum follow up code Z93.2, and then she also listed O99.320 (methadone maintenance treatment affecting pregnancy, antepartum) and code O99.419 (maternal endocarditis complicating pregnancy, antepartum). My question is, can they use these codes for a postpartum follow up? Would it be correct to use the unspecified trimester? I have seen many instances where they are trying to use trimester codes, and my gut is telling me that they shouldn't be doing this since it would be confusing as the patient is no longer pregnant. I know that you are allowed to use codes from chapter 15 if they are used to described pregnancy-related complications after the peripartum or postpartum period if the provider documents that a condition is pregnancy related, but I guess I am just confused as to whether or not you would use specific trimester codes. Any feedback would be much appreciated! :)

You would not use the Z code just the O99 codes the problem is you last character. You would not use antepartum or unspecified you use the character for puerperium.