Wiki Postop

Watkins.Jess

Contributor
Best answers
I am having trouble finding the code to go along with the ICD-9 code of this scenario:

Julie Mason, age 5 years, is coming in today to have her long-arm cast removed and replaced with a short-arm cast for 3 weeks. The patient sustained a Torus fracture of the radius and is 1 week postop.

I have:

CPT code: 29075
ICD-9 codes: 813.45, (V-code??? I think it is V45.89?)

you never use the fracture code for post op in ICD-9 CM coding.. You must use the appropriate V54.1- code for a healing fx, or code for a non healing fx or a non union but never an acute fx after the initial treatment has been performed.
For ICD-10 CM you will code the fx code and use the 7th character D or G or K or P.

So, I wouldn't use the 813.45 because it is an acute code..right? Would I still use a V-code because it would be a history of an injury and it is important to the patients care?

You will not use 813.45 because this is not an acute injury. This injury has already received active treatment and can no longer be coded as acute. It is not history either , it is a healing fx and if you look at the V 54.1codes you will see that they indicate aftercare for a healing fracture, which exactly fits this patient for this encounter.

postop

I came up with V54.12 (Aftercare for healing traumatic fracture of lower arm). Would I also use 905.4 (Late effect of fracture of lower extremities)?

No the late effect code would be used only when there is a late effect such as arthritis due to an elbow fx. This fracture is healing as expected so use only the V54.1- code.