Wiki POST Op with New E & M -24

DGgirll20

New
Best answers
My ortho doctor is asking if when hes treating a patient for post op with 99024 for hip, can he also bill an E & m code 99213-24 for a different body part on the same visit ?

If the provider is treating an unrelated problem, or otherwise providing care that is not part of the global package, then I would bill 9921X-24 only.

Yes, it happens a lot. You wouldn't bill the 99024 anyway, but some practices still want it entered in the billing system to track post-ops. So you may have two codes for the visit. The 99024 internally and the 9921_ which you would bill with the 24 like Christine said.

Let's say the patient had a THA and they are coming in post-op and they do the, "oh by the way" my shoulder hurts and the provider spends time treating the shoulder and also takes X-Rays. It is billable, you also want to make sure you have the diagnoses pointers correctly attached to each code and don't have any diagnosis unrelated to the E/M w/ 24 attached to it.

Also note, some states are required to report the 99024 for certain codes by CMS: https://www.cms.gov/medicare/payment/fee-schedules/physician/global-surgery-data-collection

Yes, it happens a lot. You wouldn't bill the 99024 anyway, but some practices still want it entered in the billing system to track post-ops. So you may have two codes for the visit. The 99024 internally and the 9921_ which you would bill with the 24 like Christine said.

Let's say the patient had a THA and they are coming in post-op and they do the, "oh by the way" my shoulder hurts and the provider spends time treating the shoulder and also takes X-Rays. It is billable, you also want to make sure you have the diagnoses pointers correctly attached to each code and don't have any diagnosis unrelated to the E/M w/ 24 attached to it.

Also note, some states are required to report the 99024 for certain codes by CMS: https://www.cms.gov/medicare/payment/fee-schedules/physician/global-surgery-data-collection
Thank you, I That's exactly what I thought but its never come up before & I wanted to make sure my thinking process was correct it before & before I told my doctor yes . Yes he is treating body part within global period & then a new body part .

Good point about the 99024 required in certain states for certain procedures. Since my state isn't one of them, I usually forget about that.