Wiki Post op rash = billable?

NM36

Contributor
Best answers
Hi all,

Curious to get opinions on this one.

Surgeon performed surgery. About 1 week later, patient returned for post op office appointment. She developed a rash within the range of surgical area, but NOT at or near the actual incision at all. It is written in the note that the rash "may or may not be" due to the Chloraprep solution painted on the area preop.
The doctor assessed the rash and gave patient a prescription. (obviously no return to the OR).

Would this be considered a post-op complication within the global period, and not billable? Or can I bill as an unrelated condition during post op period with modifier 79??

Thanks!
NM

Sorry; meant to say using modifier 24 for an E/M service during post op period, not 79.
Thanks!

I think this could be argued either way, but since the surgeon would have had to examine this area anyway as part of the normal post-operative care, and because it appears to be a minor problem and the extra work of writing of prescription is so minimal, I would personally not submit it as an extra charge or potentially burden the patient with additional out-of-pocket expenses for something of this small magnitude. My experience has been that patients usually have an expectation that their post-operative care will be at no additional cost, and it will often generate a complaint unless it is clearly spelled out to them otherwise at the time of the visit.