Wiki Post Op Injections

LLRodgers

Best answers
Hello,

I have one more for today.

Patient had arthroscopy on the knee on 3/5/15, comes in for a follow up.

Diagnosis: Status post right knee arthroscopy with recurrent effusion

They aspirated it and injected the knee.

Is this injection included in the 90 Day Global Package and would not get coded?

Thank you,
Linda

The injection gets coded with a modifier.
See below:
Modifier58[/B]
Staged or Related Procedure or Service by the Same Physician During the
Postoperative Period: The physician may need to indicate that the performance of a
procedure or service during the postoperative period was: a) planned or anticipated
(staged); b) more extensive than the original procedure; or c) for therapy following a
diagnostic surgical procedure. This circumstance may be reported by adding the
modifier 58 to the staged or related procedure. Note: For treatment of a problem that
requires a return to the operating/procedure room (eg. unanticipated clinical
condition), see modifier 78.
Modifier78
Unplanned Return to the Operating/Procedure Room by the Same Physician
Following Initial Procedure for a Related Procedure During the Postoperative Period:
It may be necessary to indicate that another procedure was performed during the
postoperative period of the initial procedure (unplanned procedure following initial
procedure). When this procedure is related to the first, and requires the use of the
operating/procedure room, it may be reported by adding the modifier 78 to the
related procedure. (For repeat procedures on the same day, see modifier 76).
Modifier79
Unrelated Procedure or Service by the Same Physician During the Postoperative
Period: The physician may need to indicate that the performance of a procedure or
service during the postoperative period was unrelated to the original procedure. This
circumstance may be reported by using the modifier 79. (For repeat procedures on the
same day, see modifier 76).

Hello,

I have one more for today.

Patient had arthroscopy on the knee on 3/5/15, comes in for a follow up.

Diagnosis: Status post right knee arthroscopy with recurrent effusion

They aspirated it and injected the knee.

Is this injection included in the 90 Day Global Package and would not get coded?

Thank you,
Linda

Be careful "typical post op" care is included in the global package
per CCI... injection codes are included in many procedures

per cms claims processing manual chapt 12..."all additional medical or surgical tx required during post-op period because of complication which do not require a return trip to the OR are included "

I usually ask my doc to document "atypical" or excessive effusion if he wants to charge inject during post op.

you CAN charge for the meds.

arthroscopy injection

I have a quick question. Do I bill for the Depo injection meds during the arthroscopy global period? I know you can not bill the injection. Also we have 1 Dr that injected a knee w/synvisc during the global period of an arthroscopy. Do we bill for the synvisc?