Wiki Post Op Exam

littlec1963

Best answers
The patient has joint replacement surgery and our Dr does a consultation to manage/ evaluate any other medical problems for the surgeon. Is there an exam code for this?

I have a patient that doesn't have any other medical problems besides the DJD. This is a general post op exam by a hospitalist.

You cannot code the DJD if there has been a joint replacement. You can code only a V code. If this is a post op encounter then use a post op V code, otherwise chose any other that fits such as administrative purpose. From the information you provided i do not see any medical necessity for the evaluation, also who requested it and what was the reason for the request.

The orthopedic surgeon admits the patient for joint replacement and does the surgery. Then they ask one of our docs to consult for medical managment of any other health issues. We can't use a dx related to the djd or joint replacement becaust that is what the ortho is seeing the patient for. Most of the time the patient has hypertension,diabetes, gerd, etc. that our doc is managing. Every now and then there is one that has no other health issues beyond the djd. I don't see medical necessity but our doc turns in a charge because they saw and evaluated the patient for the ortho doc.

if there is nothing wrong with the patient then you will need to choose a V code that fits such as one for administrative purposes. Or use a post op V code. You cannot "create" a reason when one does not exist.