Wiki post op diagnosis codes

TMB1965

Guru
Best answers
do I code a v code for a post op visit after surgery or do I code the dx code for the surgery then the v code?

I code the "V" code followed by the reason for the procedure but I suppose it doesn't really matter since it is a post op visit and not billed.

I code the "V" code followed by the reason for the procedure but I suppose it doesn't really matter since it is a post op visit and not billed.

You would never code the reason for the surgery if the condition no longer exists. Like an appendectomy, you will use only the V for either aftercare or follow up whichever fits, you will not code the appendicitis first list or secondary. Neoplasm is a little different in that if the surgery removed the tumor but they are still being treated with chemo and/or radiation you will code the neoplasm since removal of the tumor did not remove all of the cancerous cells.

Last edited:
I always thought the v code went first too, but I have had others tell me since its a post op visit that it didn't matter. Thanks for the help! :)