Wiki Post op complication proc done in office

dpumford

Best answers
:pHello,

I have a question that I hope I can get an answer to.

If a pt has a surgery with a 90 day global period, comes in to the office for a post op visit; the Dr decides pt needs a aspiration of hematoma (10160) at surgical site, Can you bill for this or is it part of the global care.

I have looked on the Medicare website but does not give this seniario. I have heard different opinions so would like to know others thoughts.

I think its global but others in office not so sure. But then again we are using our supplies etc. :confused:

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks~:p

You can find information on the CMS Global Sx Fact Sheet. ALL services (this includes supplies) in the postop period are inclusive of the surgery, this means complications as well as routine care when performed outside of the OR.

http://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Edu...oducts/Downloads/GloballSurgery-ICN907166.pdf

The AAPC had a webinar recently (past 6 months) that discussed this very situation. It was the modifier OnDemand webinar.

Last edited:
Thank you! I had that article but they were thinking because of it being a aspiration I should try to bill it. I will ck into the webinar.

Thanks so much!

Deb:)