Wiki POI/POS Billing

marsan72

New
Best answers
My office has recently brought up a question regarding which state's Medicare carrier should be billed when the place of service is in one state, and the interpretation is done in another. In looking through the threads, I am confident we should be billing the location the face to face service was done. My question is, if the 2 locations are in different states, would the claim itself go to the state that the service was perfomed, or to the state the interpretion was perfomed? I would greatly appreciate any insight:)

I'm working with Radiology and we are in the early stages of making this work but it's my understanding you submit the technical portion to the state MC carrier where the test was actually performed, then if the interpretation was done somewhere else, for example from the radiologist's home or in another state (different carrier/jurisdiction), you submit the professional portion to that MC carrier. We have to credential those docs working from home in a different state so we can submit that portion to that MC carrier.