Wiki PODIATRY (surgical)

amergler74

Contributor
Best answers
Hi there!
Is there anybody out there in the Podiatry world that would be willing to share a surgical template for billing? Our practice is new to Podiatry
and I am trying to create a surgical cheat sheet for the provider but I honestly don't even know where to start. Or if you can direct me to a
website. I have searched high and low. Thank you!!

I think it depends on what type of practice/procedures the provider does. Is it only one provider?

Are they an orthopedic surgeon specializing in foot and ankle? Or, DPM? Do they take trauma patients? Do they do diabetic foot care procedures in office, debridement, etc? I would just ask the provider what they perform. Sometimes, if they have a CPT frequency list from their prior practice (if they are not brand new) that can help.

A lot of the procedures you might see would be in the 28001-28760 range. But also, 27600-27899. Among other procedure in the musculoskeletal and integumentary sections.

I think it depends on what type of practice/procedures the provider does. Is it only one provider?

Are they an orthopedic surgeon specializing in foot and ankle? Or, DPM? Do they take trauma patients? Do they do diabetic foot care procedures in office, debridement, etc? I would just ask the provider what they perform. Sometimes, if they have a CPT frequency list from their prior practice (if they are not brand new) that can help.

A lot of the procedures you might see would be in the 28001-28760 range. But also, 27600-27899. Among other procedure in the musculoskeletal and integumentary sections.
He is a DPM and he does diabetic foot care, debridement, trauma...all the above. I tried getting the prior practice list but they gave me a very limited list. I've also asked the provider
with the no luck. Thank you for replying!!

He is a DPM and he does diabetic foot care, debridement, trauma...all the above. I tried getting the prior practice list but they gave me a very limited list. I've also asked the provider
with the no luck. Thank you for replying!!
That's going to be a pretty big list. I think what I would do, if the provider is already practicing is take the CPT frequency for a month or two and see what the top 10-15 procedures are and go from there. Sounds like a kitchen sink type deal.
Debridement and wound care is always a big confusion point, error-prone area so I might focus on that to make sure you have the LCD/NCD and follow the CMS and other payer rules.