Wiki Podiatry Encounter Forms

tcosborne

Networker
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
I'm new to billing and coding for podiatry. Does anyone have any resources to share? I'm especially interested in a surgery encounter form to keep up with hospital charges for podiatry. I'm searching for a better system to ensure I capture all procedures and that the reports have all the necessary elements. Do you use a surgical rounding sheet or chart?

Hello,
Our Podiatrist uses an Surgery check list form, he made in Word. They usually use this for preauthorization. I use it as a reference only, as sometimes they may decide to change what they planned. I do NOT code from this check list/form. Always use the OP note. If you need references to POD guidelines, you can find them on CMS. This CMS site is good for checking global days, RVUS, cpt qualify for assistant surgeon etc.. Here is the link: https://www.cms.gov/medicare/physician-fee-schedule/search

As for as tools for surgery, I use is 3M and Availity, as they include the Laymans Terms of the surgery. The most important part of POD surgery coding is to be very familiar with foot/ankle anatomy and watching for close spelling of terms (ie ostectomy, osteotomy). Many of the CPTs are very close to the same description and may have only one word that is different from one another.

The check list/form info includes patient demographics, date of surgery, preop Diagnosis, CPT and description of procedure planned. Again, this is reference only and do not code from it.
I will check to see if I can find a blank form and will post it here if I find it.
Hope this helps.