Wiki Podiatry Billing - My internal medicine providers

dmacqueston

Best answers
My internal medicine providers want to lease some space to a podiatrist and also want me to do their billing/coding. I have no experience in this area. Does anyone have any suggestions to help me. :confused:

I'm sure there may be a specialty manual available for podiatry, but I don't think you're going to find it extremely difficult. Your challenge will be the payer's rules regarding medical necessity for toenails and corns (and I'm sure I'm forgetting something else). You should check out your LCD's to study the restrictions for Medicare's billing of foot procedures. If you need more help, email me. New experiences in coding are good. :)

Thank you. I guess I better start studying. I really dont even know the most common procedures, etc.

Thank you. I guess I better start studying. I really dont even know the most common procedures, etc.

I do agree w/ maddismom.

A lot of podiatry IS orthopaedics....foot/ankle sections of your CPT book. At least for pods who also do foot/ankle surgery, bunionectomy, hammertoes ect.

Medicare does have some strict rules regarding "routine footcare" and according to Medicare policy manuals that are sent to their beneficiaries it says right in there "routine footcare is a NON covered benefit" however, there are a lot of extenuating circumstances that they will pay for routine footcare/nailcare ect...so you want to find out about all your "Q" modifiers w/ class A, class B findings ect....

We have our patients sign ABN's when it comes to footcare/nailcare.

And for sure take maddismom adivce and also check your LCD's